Faculty of Law
The rapid changes in the economy and society, the balance between business and regulations, and emerging market dynamics and policy measures have made law and legal strategy important like never before. It also demands a new approach to teaching and understanding law that works towards creating solutions for maintaining order and handling disagreements that confront business and society. PES University aims to set new standards of excellence and relevance in legal education.
The PES Department of Law offers five year integrated BBA, LLB Dual Degree program spread over ten semesters. The curricula is designed and oriented to impart education in contemporary Business Management, Accounting and on Laws and Legal procedures, apart from integrating the modern technology enabled systems, processes and procedures in the process of imparting an optimal blend of teachings in Indian laws as well as International laws to make sure that our students are globally employable in a globalized world. The program has been innovatively designed to cater to the growing challenges and complexities of the dynamic legal and business environment of India and abroad.
The BBA, LLB Dual Degree program is accommodated with Contemporary Honors subjects like Business Environment, Mergers, Acquisitions and Business Restructuring, Corporate Governance, Capital Market Regulations, Copyrights, Drafting, Forensic Science, Penology, Comparative Constitution, Patents, Banking and Bankruptcy, Maritime Laws, Juvenile Justice, Humanitarian and Refugee Law, Corporate Offenses, Air and Space Law, Investment Laws, IPR Litigation and Transactions, Commercial Arbitration, Trans-National Organized Crimes etc. The program is progressively dynamic in nature wherein there are Lab sessions included for better understanding of the BBA subjects. Apart from which, the students also undergo Internships, Moot Courts, Simulation and Negotiation exercises every year to get acquainted with the actual functioning of the Courts and Tribunals.
THE PESU EDGE
- Nurtured by an advisory committee of Jurist and Judges
- Annual National moot court competition
- National Conference conducted every year
- MoU with National Law School of India University (NLSIU), Bangalore for access of intellectual recourses
- Practical exposure from 1st semester
- Industrial visits and legal aid programs
- Seminar Courses offered
RESEARCH DRIVEN LEARNING
- Electives and Dissertation programs
- PESU publishes a biannual peer reviewed journal – PESU Law Review
The candidates interested in seeking admission to this program study shall follow the steps given below:
- Register the candidature for PESSAT by paying the prescribed fee i.e., Rs.1050
- Appear for PESSAT or CLAT or LSAT to secure a rank
- Apply to PES University with PESSAT rank or CLAT rank or LSAT rank
- PES University shall announce the list of provisionally selected candidates along with the waitlisted candidates
- The provisionally selected candidates shall be required to appear for personal interview and complete the admission process by paying prescribed fee as well as submitting copies of relevant certificates on or before the specified date
- If any of the selected candidates does not complete the admission process by due date, the waitlisted candidates will be invited to join the program of study.
For admissions to first year of the 5 year BBA, LLB integrated course, the candidate…
- Has to be successfully qualified in the examination of 10+2 or equivalent pattern
- Shall have secured minimum marks of 45% (44.5% and above shall be treated as 45%) of total marks in qualifying examination, in case of general category applicants and 40% (39.5% and above shall be treated as 40%) of total marks in case of SC and ST applicants
- Has to be successfully qualified in the Common Law Admission Test (CLAT) or PESSAT entrance Exam
- Shall be less than twenty (20) years in case of general category and less than twenty two (22) years in the case of SC, ST and OBC as on 1st June of every academic year.
Intake: The intake for this program of study shall be 60.
Selection: Admission is strictly based on merit.
Fee Structure: Candidate seeking admission to the 5-year BBA, LLB degree program shall pay the tuition and other fees as prescribed by the University from time to time. For more info, please visit http://pes.edu/pessat/fee-structure/
ELIGIBILITY: 10+2 or equivalent pattern. Minimum marks of 45%. Qualified in CLAT or PESSAT or LSAT
PES University has a unique advantage of a successful track record in research in multiple disciplines. The focus on research will help our students in understanding various dimensions of law to enable the application of principles of law intelligently and effectively.
Our Faculty is our most precious resource and one of the four pillars on which PES University rests (the other three being Management, Students and Infrastructure). Our Faculty members develop and deliver the educational programs that bring excellent students to PES University in the first place.
All our campuses incorporate infrastructure that matches the best in the country – ensuring that students have everything they need for a stimulating campus life. Students have access to the latest computing and research facilities. The PES University campus sprawls over 25 lush acres. PESIT South Campus will be a part of multi disciplinary University Campus. The University has well equipped Hostel for students and a furnished Guest House for visitors.
LAW IN THE NEWS
The Rs 7,250 crore battle between the Tatas and DoComo continues to elude settlement. Tata Teleservices’ financial struggles had prompted the Japanese company to seek an exit. Under the agreement, the Tatas had offered to return half of Docomo’s original amount at the end of five years if the partners wanted to part ways but later did not do so citing Reserve Bank of India (RBI) regulations. Docomo filed for international arbitration and won an award of $1.17 billion.
The 40th anniversary of the landmark judgement that was crucial in upholding the supremacy of the Constitution is creating renewed interest about preventing authoritarian rule by a single party. The Kesavananda Bharathi judgement outlined the Basic Structure doctrine of the Constitution. Justice Hans Raj Khanna asserted through this doctrine that the constitution possesses a basic structure of constitutional principles and values. The Court cemented the prior precedent Golaknath v. State of Punjab AIR 1967 SC 1643, which held that constitutional amendments pursuant to Article 368 were subject to fundamental rights review. The Basic Structure doctrine forms the basis of power of the Indian judiciary to review, and strike down, amendments to the Constitution of India enacted by the Indian parliament which conflict with or seek to alter this basic structure of the Constitution.
Oracle America, Inc. v. Google, Inc. is a dispute related to Oracle’s copyright and patent claims on Google’s Android operating system. In May 2012, the jury in this case found that Google did not infringe on Oracle’s patents, and the trial judge ruled that the structure of the Java APIs used by Google was not copyrightable. The parties agreed to zero dollars in statutory damages for a small amount of copied code.On May 9, 2014, the Federal Circuit partially reversed the district court ruling, ruling in Oracle’s favor on the copyrightability issue, and remanding the issue of fair use to the district court. A petition for certiorari was denied by the United States Supreme Court on June 29, 2015. A second trial began May 9, 2016, in which Oracle sought US$8.8 billion in damages. On May 26, 2016, the trial jury sided in favor of Google, ruling the action to be fair use.