- Tech IIT Kharagpur, 1975
- PhD, University of Wisconsin 1984
Date of Joining
01st July, 2012
- IBM TJ Watson Center, New York 1984-1997
- Director, Advanced Technology Group, Novell, 1997-2001
- CTO and Andiamo Fellow, Andiamo Software 2001-2004
- Chief Technologist, HP Systems Technology and Software Division, 2004-2012
- Professor, Head Center for Cloud Computing and Big Data, Dept of Computer Science and Engineering, 2012-present
Dr. Dinkar Sitaram completed his Ph.D in Computer Science from the University of Wisconsin Madison. His research interests include scheduling and sustainable resource allocation policies for hybrid clouds and cloud computing, as well as speech recognition and intelligent big data systems.
He has authored 2 books – ‘Moving to the Cloud – Developing Apps in the New World of Cloud Computing’ published by American Elsevier; and ‘Multimedia Servers’ published by Morgan Kaufman. He has authored over 30 patents and 45 publications.
He was awarded the IBM Corporate Innovation Award. He has served as CTO of Novell Software, as CTO of Andiamo Systems and also as CTO of STSD (R&D Wing of HP, India) prior to joining PES University.
Author of 2 books
- Author of book on Cloud Computing “Moving to the Cloud” published by American Elsevier
- Author of book “Multimedia Servers” published by Morgan Kaufmann, San Francisco
Research publications (with over 4500 citations)
- A dynamic policy of segment replication for load-balancing in video-on-demand servers, Asit Dan, Martin Kienzle l and Dinkar Sitaram, MultiMedia Systems, Volume 3, Number 3 / July, 1995
- A Generalized Interval Caching Policy for Mixed Interactive and Long Video Environments, Dan and D. Sitaram, IS&T SPIE, Multimedia Computing and Networking Conference, (San Jose, CA), January 1996.
- A Generalized Interval Caching Policy for Mixed Interactive and Long Video Workloads, Asit Dan, Dinkar Sitaram, IBM T.J.Watson Research Center
- An online video placement policy based on bandwidth to space ratio (BSR), Asit Dan Dinkar Sitaram, IBM T. J. Watson Research Center, ACM SIGMOD Record, Volume 24 , Issue 2 (May 1995)
- Brahma: Browsing and Retrieval Architecture for Hierarchical Multimedia Annotation, A Dan, D Sitaram, J Song - Multimedia Tools and Applications, 1998 – Springer
- Buffer Management Policy for an On Demand Video Server, Dan and D. Sitaram, IBM Research Report RC 19347, T.J Watson Research Center, Yorktown Heights, New York, January 1993.
- Buffering and caching in large-scale video servers ,A Dan, DM Dias, R Mukherjee, D Sitaram, R Tewari - Compcon'95.'Technologies for the Information Superhighway',1995
- Caching in Bandwidth and Space Constrained Hierarchical Hyper-Media Servers, Renu Tewarim, Harrick M. Vin, Asit Dan, Dinkar Sitaram, Technical Report: CS-TR-96-30 ,1997
- Channel allocation under batching and VCR control in video-on-demand systems, Journal of Parallel and Distributed Computing, Asit Dan, Perwez Shahabuddin, Dinkar Sitaram, Don Towsley, Volume 30 , Issue 2 (November 1995), Special issue on multimedia processing and technology
- Dynamic batching policies for an on-demand video server, Multimedia Systems, Asit Dan, Dinkar Sitaram, IBM T. J. Watson Research Center, Perwez Shahabuddin Columbia Univ., New York, NY ,Volume 4 , Issue 3 (June 1996)
- Issues in the design of multi-server file systems to cope with load skew, Dinkar Sitaram, Asit Dan, Philip S. Yu , Proceedings of the second international conference on Parallel and distributed information systems table of contents, San Diego,1993
- Long Term Channel Allocation Strategies for Video Applications Authors: Almeroth, Kevin C., Dan, Asit, Sitaram, Dinkar, Tetzlaff, William H., Technical Report; GIT-CC-95-45, Georgia Institute of Technology Series, 1995
- Multimedia Caching Strategies for Heterogeneous Application and Server Environments , Asit Dan, and Dinkar Sitaram, Multimedia Tools and Applications, Volume 4, Number 3 / May, 1997, Springer Netherlands
- Multimedia resource management in OS/390 LAN Server , A Dan, S Dulin, S Marcotte, D Sitaram - IBM Systems Journal, 1997
- Resource based Caching for Web Servers, Renu Tewari, Harrick M. Vin, Asit Dan and Dinkar Sitaram, Proc. SPIE/ACM Conference on Multimedia Computing, 1998
- Scheduling policies for an on-demand video server with batching, Dan, D. Sitaram, P. Shahabuddin, T. J. Watson Research Center, Proceedings of the second ACM international conference on Multimedia, San Francisco, 1994
- Using tertiary storage in video-on-demand servers , M.G. Kienzle, Dan, D. Sitaram, W. Tetzlaff, IBM Thomas J. Watson Res. Center, Yorktown Heights, NY, USA, 40th IEEE Computer Society International Conference (COMPCON'95) p. 225
- Book Chapter: JINSIL: A System for Presentation of Composite Multimedia Objects in a Distributed Environment, J Song, A Dan, D Sitaram - 1996 - IBM TJ Watson Research Center
- Book Chapter: Efficient retrieval of composite multimedia objects in a distributed system, J Song, A Dan, D Sitaram – 1997, JINSIL, ACM Press New York, NY, USA
- Book: Multimedia Servers: Applications, Environments, and Design, Dinkar Sitaram, Asit Dan, 297 pages, Publication Date: January 2000, ISBN-10: 1558604308, Morgan Kaufmann
- Sitaram, Dinkar, Anush Vishwanath, Pramod Ramesh, and Meghana Prashanth. “A multi-tenant RBAC federated system for OpenStack”, OpenStack Summit, Portland, Oregon, April 2013.
- Sitaram, Dinkar, Haripriya Srinivasaraghavan, Kapish Agarwal, Amritanshu Agrawal, Neha Joshi, and Debraj Ray. "Pipelining Acoustic Model Training for Speech Recognition Using Storm." In Computational Intelligence, Modelling and Simulation (CIMSim), 2013 Fifth International Conference on, pp. 219-224. IEEE, 2013.
- Sitaram, Dinkar, Manish Sharma, Mariyah Zain, Ankita Sastry, and Rishika Todi. “Intrusion Detection System for High Volume and High Velocity Packet Streams: A Clustering Approach.” In 2013 International Conference on Information and Computer Technology (ICICT 2013).
- Sitaram, Dinkar, H. L. Phalachandra, Anush Vishwanath, Pramod Ramesh, Meghana Prashanth, Akshay G. Joshi, Anoop R. Desai, R. Shwetha, and A. Yashaswini. "Keystone federated security." In Internet Technology and Secured Transactions (ICITST), 2013 8th International Conference for, pp. 659-664. IEEE, 2013.
- Sitaram, Dinkar, Manish Sharma, Mariyah Zain, Ankita Shastry, and Rishika Todi, “Intrusion Detection System for High Volume and High Velocity Packet Streams: A Clustering Approach.” International Journal of Innovation, Management and Technology, 4.5 (2013): 480-485.
- MS, Akshay, Suhas Mohan, Vincent Kuri, Dinkar Sitaram, H. L. Phalachandra “Efficient Support of Big Data Storage Systems on the Cloud.” In IEEE/ACM High Performance Computing (HiPC), 2013 20th International Conference on, IEEE, 2013
- Sitaram, Dinkar, H. L. Phalachandra, Anush Vishwanath, Pramod Ramesh, Meghana Prashanth, Akshay G. Joshi, Anoop R. Desai, R. Shwetha, and A. Yashaswini. “Security Infrastructure for Hybrid Clouds and Cloud Federation.” To be published in International Journal of Internet Technology and Secured Transactions.
- Sitaram, Dinkar, H. L. Phalachandra, Sirushti Murugesan, Pavan Sudheendra, Rohith Ananth, Vidhisha B, Abdul Hannan Kanji, Swati Chidambar Bhat, B Kruti “Extending OpenStack to allow Federation between Clouds”, Openstack Summit, Atlanta, USA, May 2014.
- Sitaram, Dinkar, H. L. Phalachandra, S. Harwalkar, S. Murugesan, P. Sudheendra, R. Ananth, Vidhisha B, A. H. Kanji, S. Bhat, and K. Bhat. “Simple Cloud Federation.” To be published in Asia Modelling Symposium 2014; The Eighth Asia International conference onMathematical Modelling and Computer Simulation (AMS 2014), IEEE, 2014
- Sitaram, Dinkar, Prafullata K, Vignesh T. S., Ahmed Shabib, Varun Shenoy, Anish Narang, Chaitra Prasad N, Madhura Das, Rachita Pradeep, “Parallelization of Searching and Mining Time Series Data using Dynamic Time Warping”, To be published in International Conference on Computational Intelligence in Data Mining (ICCIDM 2014), Springer, 2014
- Sitaram, Dinkar, H. L. Phalachandra, S. Harwalkar, S. Kathare, A, Srinivasan, Archana R, Konark K, and Sahana Sekhar P. C. “Opensim: A Simulator of OpenStack Services.” To be published in Asia Modelling Symposium 2014; The Eighth Asia International conference onMathematical Modelling and Computer Simulation (AMS 2014), IEEE, 2014
- Cowie, Claire, and Tanvi Dinkar “The sociophonetics of /v/ and /w/ in Indian English” To be published in The Twentieth International Conference of World Englishes (IAWE 2014), 2014.
- Sitaram, Dinkar, H. L. Phalachandra, Gautham S, Swathi H V, and Sagar TP, “Energy Efficient Data Centers Under Availability Constraints”, Ninth Annual IEEE International Systems Conference, IEEE, 2015
- Sitaram, Dinkar, Prafullata Auradkar, Aditya Dalwani, Anish Narang, Madhura Das “A Measure of Similarity of Time Series with Missing Data Using the Mahalanobis Distance” 2nd IEEE International Conference on Advances in Computing and Communication Engineering (ICACCE-2015), IEEE
- Prafullata Auradkar, Rachita Pradeep, Chaitra Prasad, Sitaram Dinkar, “Parallelization of mining and searching of Time Series data using Dynamic Time Warping”, 5th International Conference on Advancements in Computing, Communications and Informatics(ICACCI), 2015, Kochi,
- Nitiin Bhyri, Gautham, Kidiyoor Varun SK, Subramaniam Kalambur, Dinkar Sitaram, Chid Kollengode, “Predicting the Next Move: Determining Mobile User Location using Semantic Information”, 5th International Conference on Advancements in Computing, Communications and Informatics(ICACCI), 2015, Kochi,
- Utkarsh Simha, S. Harwalkar, and Dinkar Sitaram, “Standards based Integration of Advanced Key Management Capabilities with Openstack”, IEEE CCEM 2015
- Ashwin Naresh, Ajmal Sohail, S.,Harwalkar and Dinkar Sitaram, “Hybrid Secure Orchestration Based Federation in Hybrid Cloud Environments”, ICIT- 2015
- Shibani S, Supriya S, Nirupama Padmanabha, and Dinkar Sitaram, “Still Image processing Techniques for Intelligent Traffic Monitoring”, Third International Conference on Image Information Processing (ICIIP-2015)
- Sitaram, Dinkar and K. V. Subramaniam, “Complex Event Processing in Big Data Systems”, invited book chapter.
- Sitaram, D., Harwalkar, S. and Kumar, K.S., 2016, October. Standards based Integration of Intercloud for federation with OpenStack. In Cloud Computing in Emerging Markets (CCEM), 2016 IEEE International Conference on (pp. 113-118). IEEE.
- Dhar, Shivam, Pooja U. Tata, Sachit M. Nayak, Subramaniam Kalambur, Dinkar Sitaram, and Atanu Dasgupta. "Identification of escalations during product maintenance." In Advances in Computing, Communications and Informatics (ICACCI), 2016 International Conference on, pp. 2329-2334. IEEE, 2016.
- Agarwal, Aditya, Syed Munawwar Quadri, Savitha Murthy, and Dinkar Sitaram. "Minimally supervised sound event detection using a neural network." In Advances in Computing, Communications and Informatics (ICACCI), 2016 International Conference on, pp. 2495-2500. IEEE, 2016
- Suresh, Susheel, Tarun Sharma, and Dinkar Sitaram. "Towards quantifying the amount of uncollected garbage through image analysis." In Proceedings of the Tenth Indian Conference on Computer Vision, Graphics and Image Processing, p. 73. ACM, 2016.
- Aarti Jivarajani, Apoorva, Dhanya Raghu, HL Phalachandra and Dinkar Sitaram, “Workload Characterization and Green Scheduling on Heterogeneous Clusters”, 22nd Annual International Conference on Advanced Computing and Communications, ADCOM-2016, Bangalore
- Yasaswi Kishore, Venkat Datta NH, K V Subramaniam and Dinkar Sitaram, “QoS aware Resource Management for Apache Cassandra”, 2nd annual IEEE International Workshop on Foundations in Big Data Computing (HiPC BigDF'16) in conjunction with 23rd IEEE International Conference on High Performance Computing (HiPC 2016), December 2016, Hyderabad
- Singh, S., Mehta, K.S., Bhattacharya, N., Prasad, J., Lakshmi, S.K., Subramaniam, K.V. and Sitaram, D., 2017, July. Identifying uncollected garbage in urban areas using crowdsourcing and machine learning. In IEEE Region 10 Symposium (TENSYMP), 2017(pp. 1-5). IEEE.
- Sachin Prabhu, B, K. V. Subramaniam and Dinkar Sitaram, “Recognition of Indian License Plate Number from Live Stream Videos”, 6th International Conference on Advances in Computing, Communications and Informatics (ICACCI) – 2017, September 2017, IEEE, Manipal
- Sitaram, D., Harwalkar, S. and Shreyas, MM., 2017, November. Federated Cloud Services using API-Proxy in a Distributed Cloud Environment. In Cloud Computing in Emerging Markets (CCEM), 2017 IEEE International Conference on, IEEE.
- Satvik Kumar, Dhole S, Prabhakar M., 2017, November. Intuitive Traffic. In Student PoC Competition, Cloud Computing in Emerging Markets (CCEM), 2017 IEEE International Conference on, IEEE.
- Sachin Prabhu, Subramaniam KV, Sitaram, D., 2017, November. Proof of Concept for Recognition of Indian License Plate Number from Live Stream Videos. In Student PoC Competition, Cloud Computing in Emerging Markets (CCEM), 2017 IEEE International Conference on, IEEE.
Granted US Patents
- G06F001208 20040525 IBM, Sieved caching for increasing data rate capacity of a heterogeneous striping group
- G06F000306 20010424 IBM , Method and system for load balancing by replicating a portion of a file being read by a first stream onto second device and reading portion with a second stream capable of accessing
- G06F001212 20000711 IBM, Fileserver buffer manager based on file access operation statistics
- H04N0007173 20000404 IBM, Recording observed and reported response characteristics at server and/or client nodes in a replicated data environment, and selecting a server to provide data based on the observed and/or reported response characteristics
- G06F001118 19990202 IBM, System for providing custom functionality to client systems by redirecting of messages through a user configurable filter network having a plurality of partially interconnected filters
- G06F000306 19980915 IBM, Load balancing in servers by allocating buffer to streams with successively larger buffer requirements until the buffer requirements of a stream cannot be satisfied
- G06F000100 19981020 IBM, Support for portable trusted software
- G06F000306 19980901 IBM , System for load balancing by replicating portion of file while being read by first stream onto second device and reading portion with stream capable of accessing
- H04N000500 19980728 IBM, Disk caching system for selectively providing interval caching or segment caching of vided data
- H04N0007173 19980616 IBM, Channel conservation for anticipated load surge in video servers
- G06F000950 19980616 IBM , Method for determining load capacity by grouping physical components into logical components whose loads represent fixed proportional loads of physical components
- G06F000306 19961105 IBM, Buffer management policy for an on-demand video server
- G06F000306 19960806 IBM, Load balancing in video-on-demand servers by allocating buffer to streams with successively larger buffer requirements until the buffer requirements of a stream cannot be satisfied
- H04N0007173 19961001 IBM, Pace control for multicasting in a video server environment
- G06F000306 19960625 IBM, Online placement of video files determined by a function of the bandwidth to space ratio of each of the storage devices in a server environment
- H04N0007173 19950926 IBM, Scheduling policies with grouping for providing VCR control functions in a video server
- Sitaram, Dinkar, Ashok Raman “The Fishbowl of Existence”, n, Flipkart, Bangalore, March 2014.
- Sitaram, Dinkar “Trends and Challenges in Big Data Analytics”, Hadoop And Map-Reduce For Big Data Workshop, CDAC, Bangalore, April 2014.
- Sitaram, Dinkar "Cloud Computing", Indian Symposium on Computer Systems (Indosys), CDAC, Bangalore, June 2014
- Sitaram, Dinkar “Cloud as Infrastructure for SMAC”, GE ignITe, GE Research, Bangalore, September 2014
- Sitaram, Dinkar “Advanced Topics in Cloud Computing” Dr. Ambedkar Institute of Technology, Bangalore, May 2015
- Sitaram, Dinkar and K. V. Subramaniam “Big Data Storage Systems for Data Science” Data Science & Big Data Analytics (DSBDA'15) August 5-7, 2015, CDAC, Bangalore
- Dinkar Sitaram, Panel Member, CCEM Conference 2016
- Sitaram, Dinkar, “Hybrid Clouds for Banking,” Institute for Development and Research in Banking Technology, Reserve Bank of India, Hyderabad 2017