Dr. Reshma S.V obtained her MSc degree from University of Mysore with Gold medal and second rank, MPhil degree from Mangalore University and PhD from Visvesvaraya Technological University, Belgaum.. She was the recipient of K. Narayanan Gold Medal in MSc Botany, University of Mysore (1994), K. Narayanan Cash Prize for highest score in II MSc Botany, University of Mysore (1994) and 2nd rank holder in M.Sc Botany, University of Mysore (1994). She is qualified in SLET - Life Sciences - Masters Level (State Level Eligibility Test For Lectureship). She worked on the PhD research topic titled “Cloning, expression and characterization of select hypothetical proteins from Halobacterium and Bacillus Species”. She has 21 years of teaching experience in Biotechnology & Botany and developed skills in life-science related areas by virtue of teaching and guiding students at both graduate and postgraduate levels.
She has published 3 papers in International/National journals and 3 books. Her areas of interest are Plant Biotechnology, Genetics & Molecular Biology, biodiversity conservation and Seed Technology. She is the Co-investigator of a DBT funded project on Production of TAGs from microalgae using photo-bioreactor intended for biodiesel production. She has provided technical assistance and guidance to students in Research & Development activities, higher studies and personality development. She has designed and conducted various faculty and student workshops. She is a Life member of Society for Biological Chemists and Life Member, Indian Science Congress Association, India.
- Recognised Evaluator for Nirmal Gram Puraskar by Karnataka Rural Water Supply and Sanitation Agency, Government of Karnataka for evaluation of Gram Panchayats.
- Trained District Officials and Head Masters as a Resource person for ‘Suvarna Jala’ - Rain water harvesting project for Government Schools of Karnataka, by Department of Rural Development & Panchayat Raj, Government of Karnataka.
- Conducted TEQIP sponsored hands on training program on RAPD for college teachers on March 22nd and 23rd 2013.
- Co-convener, National Conference on E-nose conducted by Department of Biotechnology, PESIT on 20th and 21st April, 2012.
- As Coordinator of Community Development Program, involved in organization of several programs like tree plantation, health & hygiene, mushroom cultivation, painting competition for students of Government Schools adopted by PES institutions.
- Resource person-Western Ghats Task Force, Government of Karnataka on 28th and 29th January, 2010 at Aranyabhavana, Bangalore.
- Resource person-for VGST sponsored FDP program on Environmental Biotechnology organized by Department of Biotechnology, PESIT in December 2009.
- Administrator (outreach) for IPR Cell, PESIT, Bangalore.
- Organized Outreach program on IPR on 13th March 2007.
- Organized practical Training workshop for college teachers on Drosophila Genetics in the month of February 2003.
- Well experienced in conducting workshops – have played an important role in organizing workshops on Biotechnology.
- Have played a pivotal role in organizing various intra & inter-collegiate events
- 21 years of teaching experience in Biotechnology, Microbiology & Botany at graduate level.
- Presently working as Associate Professor in Biotechnology, Department of Biotechnology since 2003.
- Worked as Head of the Department, Department of Biotechnology (UG & PG), at PES Degree College, Hanumanthnagar, Bangalore for three years from 2001 – 2004
- Worked as Lecturer in Botany, at PES College, Hanumanthnagar for 3 years from 1998-2001.
UG Courses: Cell Biology, Microbiology, Genetics, Structural Biology, Upstream Process Technology, Health & Pharmaceutical Biotechnology, Health Diagnostics, Genomics & Proteomics, Molecular Genetics
Lab courses: Microbiology , Biochemistry, Molecular biology. Upstream Process Technologya and Food Biotechnology.
PG Courses: Molecular Genetics, Plant Biotechnology, Agricultural Biotechnology, Genomics & Proteomics
Co-investigator of a DBT funded project on Production of TAGs from microalgae using photo-bioreactor intended for biodiesel production- 2012 to 2015 (Rs. 49 lakhs).
- Polyhydroxybutyrate production
- Gene cloning
- Plant tissue culture and secondary metabolite production
1. Reshma S.V., Sathyanarayanan, N and Nagendra H.G, Characterization of hypothetical protein VNG0128C from Halobacterium NRC-1 reveals GALE like activity and its involvement in Leloir pathway of galactose metabolism, Journal of Biomolecular Structure and Dynamics. 2014, 1-13.
2. Bhagyamma, C.V., Sharad, S., Shriganesh G Gudigar and Reshma S.V. 2011. Bioprocessing of Areca husk in solid state fermentation for cellulase production using Trichoderma viride. Indian Journal of Applied Research. 1(3): 15-17 .
3. Reshma, S.V. and Rasheed Ahmad, Natural incidence of aflatoxins in parboiled rice, Journal of Food Science and Technology, Vol. 35, No. 5, 451-454, 1998.
1. S.B.Sullia and Reshma Ashok, Text Book of Biotechnology (First Year BSc, II Semester), United Publishers, 2004.
2. S.B.Sullia and Reshma Ashok, Text Book of Biotechnology (First Year BSc, I Semester), United Publishers, 2004.
3. S.B.Sullia and Reshma Ashok, Biotechnology Vol II, United Publishers, 2003.
Papers presented in Conferences:
1. Radhika K.N., Rashmi K. Nayak, Sheethal, U.N. and Reshma S.V., Isolation and partial characterization of lectins from seeds of Entada rheedii Spreng at National Conference On Science and Technology for Sustainable Society, 2016 at AVK College for women, Hassan.
2. Shashidhar.R, Swathi. A, Vasista. K, and Reshma SV, Optimization of Cellulase yield from Areca husk and Areca sheath using Pseudomonas fluorescens. IEEE Global Humanitarian Technology Conference: South Asia Satellite (GHTC-SAS) - Trivandrum, India , 2013
3. Reshma S.V. and H.G.Nagendra. Characterization of hypothetical proteins containing multidomains. Poster presented at National Conference on “Genomics, Proteomics and Systems Biology” hosted by Sir MVIT & Dayanand Sagar. Institutions at J N Tata Auditorium, IISc Campus, Bangalore, October 2008.
4. Reshma S.V., Lakshmipriya, S.P., Chaithra Bhat and Purvika Anand. Production of polyhydroxybutyrate from Alcaligenes eutrophus utilizing cheaper substrates. Paper presented at International Conference on Social Sciences and Humanities, Universiti Sains Malaysia, June 2008.
5. Hemanth, Kapeel Chougule and Reshma S.V. Method for hybrid seed purity testing in okhra species and its analysis using polyacrylamide gel electrophoroesis. Poster presented at International Conference on Molecular Mechanisms and Systems Biology, PESIT, Bangalore. 2008.
6. Vikas Rao Pejaver and Reshma S.V. Evolutionary Relationships among Aflatoxin-producing Aspergillus species based on the transcriptional activator – aflR gene product. Poster presented at National Symposium on Innovations in Biotechnology: Entrepreneurial opportunities & IPR, Bangalore, 2007.
7. Reshma, S.V. Effect of parboiling processes on mycotoxin production. Presented at National Symposium on recent trends in Biosciences, PES College, Bangalore. 2007.