Journal publication :
1. Seema Tharannum, Sarah Sunitha, Nithya, J., Chandini, M., Vanitha, J., Manjula, T.S., Shyam Sundar, C, “Molecular confirmation of the presence of coliforms in drinking water using polymerase chain reaction”. Kathmandu University Journal of Science, Engineering and Technology, Vol. 5, no. II, September, 2009, pp 130-136.
2. Seema Tharannum, Krishnamurthy V., Riaz Mahmood. 2012, Characterization of Chromium remediating Bacterium Bacillus subtilis isolated from Electroplating effluent . International Journal of Engineering Research and Applications , 2 (4) ; 961-966.
3. Seema Tharannum, Krishnamurthy V., Riaz Mahmood. 2012, Analysis of electroplating Industrial effluent with reference to chromium composition. International Journal of Current Research and Review. 04 (15); 66-71.
4. S. Ali, S. Tharannum, V. Krishnamurthy, 2013, " Study of Chromium Tolerance, Remediation and Accumulation by an Indigenous Bacterium Isolated From Electroplating Industrial Effluent," International Journal Of Pure And Applied Research In Engineering And Technology, 1(8): 133-140. ( I F:
5. Seema Tharannum, V. Krishna Murthy, Nandini.V, Shruthi.P.T., 2015. Toxic heavy metal chromium remediation by processed low cost adsorbent-Green coconut shell. The online journal of Science and Technology, 5(1), 49-54.
6. Nandini.V, Shruthi.P.T, Seema Tharannum, V. Krishna Murthy., 2015. Study of eggshell membrane as a potent adsorbent of chromium. International Journal of Research, 2(2), 1262-1269. ( Impact factor-3.4).
7. Ankitha R, Prakruthi S, Sneha, Seema Tharannum., 2016. Areca nut as a Potential Bio
- adsorbent for Remediation of Chromium. International Journal of Science
Engineering and Management (IJSEM), (1) 1, 7-14.
8. Divya R, Raksha Suresh, Srushti Tamhaney, Seema Tharannum., 2016.Extraction and
characterization of gelatine from chicken waste for application in food and pharma
industry.Int. J. Fund. Appl. Sci. Vol. 5, No. 2 , 44-48.
9. R.Mythri, V.Krishnamurthy, and Seema Tharannum,2017. Bacterial Response to
Chromate Exposure - A Review, International Journal of Recent Research and Review,
Vol. X, Issue 1, 38-46.
1. Seema Tharannum, Sunitha K, Madhura Ankola and Divya C K, “ Plantibodies – Pharmaceutical product of Green factories”, Vatika, Issue 3, Autumn session Sept 2011, pp 18-21.
1. Attended and presented a poster Aero-microbiological Implications of Nosocomial Infections at Health Care Centre in Bangalore at International conference on Molecular Mechanisms and System Biology from 2nd-4th May 2008 organised by Department of Biotechnology, PESIT, Bangalore.
2. Attended and presented a scientific paper entitled “Purification and serological analysis of Tobacco mosaic virus infecting winter crops of Tomato ( Lycopersicon esculentum, in and around Bangalore, India” at an International conference, ICSTIE-2008 held during Dec 12-14, 2008 at Universiti teknologi Mara, Penang, Malaysia.
3. Presented a Research paper on “ Detection of E.coli in drinking water samples by
Specific amplification of Lac Z and Uid A genes”, at “envoc HEALTH 2009”-
International Conference on Environment, Occupational and lifestyle Concerns-
Transdisciplinary approach, 16-19 September, 2009, ROHC-NIOH(ICMR), Bangalore.
4. Presented a research paper entitled ‘Prevalence of Plasmid Mediated Multi Drug Resistant Enterobacteriaceae In Hospital Environment at Bangalore, India at “The 2nd International Conference on Environmental and Computer Science (ICECS 2009)” held in Dubai, UAE during 28- 30 December, 2009.
5. Attended and orally presented a research paper entitled “Transformation Efficiency studies in E.coli strains (DH5 alpha and JM101) using calcium chloride and electroporation methods” at KINS 2010 (1st Kamphang- saen International Natural product symposium: The relationship between Living Organisms and Environment at Bangkok, Thailand on 23rd and 24th October 2010.
6. Attended and orally presented a research paper entitled “Chromium distribution season wise in effluent samples sourced from electroplating industries of Bangalore city, India” at ICBEM 2011 at Singapore on 16-18 Sept, 2011.
7. Presented a paper entitled Study of Chromium Tolerance, Remediation and Accumulation by an Indigenous Bacterium Isolated From Electroplating Industrial Effluent at International Conference on EMERING TRENDS & RESEARCH IN ENGINEERING & TECHNOLOGY, IBSS COLLEGE OF ENGINEERING, AMRAVATI, M.S., INDIA during 30th– 31st March 2013.
8. Presented a paper entitled “ Potential of algae in Bioremediation of Heavy metal Chromium- a review” International Conference on Integrated Water, Waster water and Isotope Hydrology at Civil engineering Department, UVCE, Bangalore University conducted on 25th-27th July 2013 .
9. Presented a poster Entitled “ Development of appropriate staining technique to facilitate the identification of pebrine spores.” At National Conference on “ Recent advances, Career Prospects and entrepreneurial Opportunities in Biotechnology and Bioengineering” organized by Sir MVIT, Bangalore on 27th March 2014 .
10. Presented a paper Entitled “ Study on the biotic and abiotic components present in air and co-relation of observations to incidence of COPD in PESIT campus ” at National Technical symposium Symbiot 2014 of I E Biotechnology, conducted in association with the Defence Research and Development Organization ( DRDO) and Manipal Institute of Technology, Manipal University, Manipal on 11th and 12th April, 2014.
11. Presented a poster Entitled “Development of an appropriate staining technique to facilitate the identification of Pebrine spores” at Prakalpa- a Scientific Research presentation platform at PESIT and won II place on 12th October 2014.
12. Presented a paper entitled “ Toxic heavy metal chromium remediation by processed low cost adsorbent –Green coconut shell” at International Science and Technology Conference, at Doha, Qatar on 18-20, December 2014.
13. Presented a poster entitled “Study on efficiency of hexavalent chromium remediation by immobilized bacteria” at Bangalore India Bio- 2015 on 9-11 February , 2015.
14. Presented a poster entitled “ Study of Murayya koenigii for the removal of Cr ( VI) from
aqueous solutions” at Bangalore India Bio- 2016 on 9-11 February , 2016, which won
appreciation prizeof Rs. 10,000 cash.
15. Presented a poster entitled “ Areca nut as a potential Bioadsorbent for remediation of
Chromium” at International conference on emerging trends in engineering and technology,
Bengaluru on 17 April 2016. Best paper award.
16. Presented a poster at PRAKALPA 2017, entitled “ Enhanced Biogas production using butcher waste”-Sunny natekar. The project was one among the top three projects of the department for the year -2016. ( Presented by Syed- 6th sem ,Sunny Anand Natekar, Dr.H.N. Chanakya, Dr. Seema Tharannum, Dr.V. Krishnamurthy)
17. Presented a poster entitled 'PROFILING OF DISTRIBUTION OF LEACHATE CONTAMINANTS IN THE VICINITY OF A SECURED LANDFILL' at Biochess 2017, organised by Department of Chemical engineering and Biotechnology ,SIT, Tumakuru held on April 3, 2017. (Students- Ashwin and Samanvitha- Civil department) Won first place.
18. Presented a paper entitled 'Disinfection of domestic and effluent waste water by solar radiation ' at Biochess 2017, organised by Department of Chemical engineering and Biotechnology , SIT, Tumakuru held on April 3, 2017. ( Students- Arjun Naik and Pooja- civil department)
19. Presented a paper entitled ' DESIGN OF CONSTRUCTED WETLAND FOR TREATMENT OF DOMESTIC SEWAGE IN A UNIVERSITY ' at Biochess 2017, organised by Department of Chemical engineering and Biotechnology , SIT, Tumakuru held on April 3, 2017. (students- HRISHAV, MUKESH KUMAR, P.ROHAN RAJ RAI)
20. Presented a paper entitled ' Treatment of greywater using Phytoremediation ' at Chemovation 2017- ecoinnovation, a national level student's symposium, organised by Department of chemical engineering, Dayananda Sagar College of Engineering, Bengaluru held on 6th and 7th April, 2017 and won first place in environmental science application category. (students- Chaitrali and Varsha- BT department)
21. Presented a paper entitled ' STUDY ON EFFECT OF ORGANIC MANURE PANCHAGAVYA ON LEGUMES ' at Chemovation 2017- ecoinnovation, a national level student's symposium, organised by Department of chemical engineering, Dayananda Sagar College of Engineering, Bengaluru held on 6th and 7th April, 2017 and won second place in Bioscience application category. (students- Deeksha, Neha Venkat, Ashashree Gudala, Ashwini BR, Pooja BR)
22. Presented a paper entitled ' Formulation of nutraceutical for enhancement of concentration and reduction of stress' at Chemovation 2017- ecoinnovation, a national level student's symposium, organised by Department of chemical engineering, Dayananda Sagar College of Engineering, Bengaluru held on 6th and 7th April, 2017. (students- Neha, pavithra )
23. Presented a paper entitled ' Cost effective Bioethanol production' at Chemovation 2017- ecoinnovation, a national level student's symposium, organised by Department of chemical engineering, Dayananda Sagar College of Engineering, Bengaluru held on 6th and 7th April, 2017 ( students- Rashmi, Nigna and Ramya)
Achievements and Recognition:
• Member of Board of Studies in Mount Carmel college (Autonomous), Jyothi Nivas college (Autonomous)
• Member of Board of Examinations in Christ University, Dayananda sagar University, Mount Carmel college (Autonomous), CMR college (Autonomous), Jyothi Nivas college (Autonomous), Bangalore University.
• Member – BTFS Monitoring Committee , BTFS Steering Committee, Bangalore
• Has been a paper setter as well external examiner for theory and practical exams in autonomous colleges.
• Visited Kathmandu University, Nepal with students of Civil and Biotechnology between 20th to 23rd January 2017 to study Reed bed method of remediation.
• Delivered Guest lecture on Thesis writing for PG students at Mount Carmel College on February 15,2017.
• Delivered Guest lecture on Job Opportunities for students of M.Sc., Life Science/Biotechnology for PG students at Mount Carmel College on Feb 15,2017.
• Invited speaker at one day lecture series on ‘Application of Nanoscience & Technology’ on 23rd February 2017 at Department of Nanasciences, Mount Carmel college.
• Delivered Guest lecture on ' Applications of Biotechnology in pharmaceutical Industry' at PES pharmacy college, Bangalore on March 17,2017.
• Invited speaker/ resource at one day workshop GNANA SAMANVAYA organized by Tumkur University in association with PES University at Tumkur university campus under a program TUPUKU on 31st March 2017.
• Organized a TEQIP II workshop on 'Entrepreneurship Development in Waste Management Sector' in association with International Institute of Waste Management, Bengaluru on March 28, 2017.