Dr. Jhinuk Chatterjee obtained her Ph.D. in Biotechnology from Department of Life Sciences & Biotechnology from Jadavpur University , Kolkata. Her major area of research is Computational Biology, Systems Biology, Cellular Imaging and Computational Immunology. University merit scholarship and academic excellence award were awarded to her during graduation and post graduation studies. Her PhD work was focussed on analysing antigenic variations in human spermatozoa and drug interaction. After completion of her PhD she worked as full time post doctoral researcher in Bioinformatics Center, Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore. In Indian institute of Science she has worked on in silico analysis of putative drug targets in Mycobacterium tuberculosis H37Rv. Since last 9 years Dr. Jhinuk Chatterjee is working as a Assistant Professor in Department of Biotechnology, PES Institute of Technology, Bangalore. She has taught various courses in UG and PG level. She has published research papers in various journals of good repute. Dr Jhinuk has also reviewed papers from various reputed journals. She has guided UG, PG & PhD students for their projects.
2009 August-till date : Assistant Professor, Department of Biotechnology
- UG Courses: Bioinformatics, Tissue Engineering, Enzyme Technology, Structural Biology, Forensic Biology, Protein Engineering & In silico Drug Designing, Bioinformatics Laboratory, Drug Development & Toxicology Laboratory, Forensic Biology Laboratory, Immunology Laboratory. Down stream process technology Laboratory, Biochemistry Laboratory
● PG Courses: Computational Biology, Systems Biology, DNA chips & Micro array Data Analysis, Health informatics, Neuroinformatics, Essential Bioinformatics Laboratory, Biomolecular Modeling & Simulation Laboratory
- Special Topics: Applications in systems biology
Areas of interest
- Interdisciplinary research
- Computational Biology
- Cellular Imaging
- Systems Biology
- Computational Immunology
Current Research Projects:
Molecular interaction studies for predicting inhibitory activity of anticancer inhibitors
Image analysis to assess cellular health
Annotation of hypothetical protein
Academic Mentor ship
PhD (Major Advisor)
1.Study of influence of microenvironmental changes in cells
2.Molecular interaction and QSAR studies for predicting inhibitory activity of HDAC inhibitors.
MSc Engineering by Research (Major Advisor)
1.CCNLDb- Cancer Chemopreventive Natural Ligand Database.
Selected UG Projects guided
- Mapping of Natural BACE1 and AchE Inhibitors on Drug Targets Networks in Alzheimer’s - A Systems Biology
- Analysis of surface receptors in human reproduction using in silico approach.
- Corals in crisis: an insilico analysis.
- Cerebral Malaria: in silico analysis and compilation of proteins in disease pathway.
- Stressome in corals.
- Transporters in Mycobacterium tuberculosis -A Comprehensive Analysis.
- A systems biology approach towards the pathogenesis of Streptococcus.
- Enzyme activity analysis and pathway modeling of the enzyme Bromelain.
- Image analysis to evaluate cell quality in cell culture system.
- Lip image analysis to identify the predominant patterns.
- Screening and validation of novel cox-2 inhibitor.
- Structural and functional annotation of a conserved hypothetical protein.
Selected PG Projects guided
- Computational insights of protein channels in Mycobacterium tuberculosis.
- Prediction and analysis of surface hydrophobic residues in tertiary structure of proteins.
- Computational analysis of NarL family of two component signal transduction system in Mycobacterium tuberculosis
- Implementation of HMM in primary congenital hypothyroidism.
- Development of a prediction model for evaluating activity of anticancer compounds .
- Pathway modeling of cervical cancer using Boolean Logic .
- Immunogenicity of molecules of reproduction.
- Detection of apoptosis using image analysis.
- Pathway modules of molecules involved in cerebral malaria.
- Structural analysis of breast cancer related proteins
- Molecular interaction networks to analyze cancer gene data
- Development of a predictive QSAR model for blood brain barrier using machine learning techniques
Computers in Biology & Medicine
International Journal of Genomics
Selected Peer-reviewed Publications
- Comparative QSAR analysis of Histone Deacetylase 6 (HDAC6) inhibitors as Anti-cancer agents; Sandhya Vijayasarathy and Jhinuk Chatterjee,International Journal of Current Research, 8, (10), 39618-39623, 2016.
- Comparison of MLR, Isotonic Regression and KNN Based QSAR Models for the Prediction of Inhibitory Activity of HDAC6 Inhibitors; Sandhya V, Jhinuk Chatterjee, International Journal of Life Sciences Biotechnology and Pharma Research, 4(2), 2015.
- Prediction and Analysis of Surface Hydrophobic Residues in Tertiary Structure of Proteins; Shambhu M G, Jhinuk Chatterjee, Tanusree Chaudhuri, and Kusum Paul; Hindawi Publishing Corporation, The Scientific World Journal , Article ID 971258, 2014.
- Inhibition of NarL of Mycobacterium tuberculosis: An in silico approach. Shivakumar K V, Prashantha Karunakar, Jhinuk Chatterjee,. Interdiscip Sci Comput Life Sci ,6: 1(8), 2014.
- Identification of Proapoptopic, Anti-Inflammatory, Anti-Proliferative, Anti-Invasive and Anti-Angiogenic Targets of Essential Oils in Cardamom by Dual Reverse Virtual Screening and Binding Pose Analysis; Biplab Bhattacharjee, Jhinuk Chatterjee;Asian Pacific J Cancer Prev, 14 (6), 3735-3742;2013.
- Comparative Reverse Screening Approach to Identify Potential Anti-neoplastic Targets of Saffron Functional Components and Binding Mode ;Biplab Bhattacharjee, Sandhya Vijayasarathy, Prashantha Karunakar, Jhinuk Chatterjee; Asian Pacific J Cancer Prev, 13 (11), 5605-5611;2012.
- Mapping of natural compounds on drug target network of Alzheimer’s disease – A Network Pharmacology approach. Jhinuk Chatterjee, Biplab Bhattacharjee, Ruby Mitruka, V Krishna Murthy, Usha Talambedu, Sanghita Banerjee, Arpitha BM, Sandhya V; International Journal of Computational Intelligence and Healthcare Informatics, 4(1),17-22;2012.
- Structural basis for the function of anti-idiotypic antibody in immune memory .J. Vani, , Jhinuk Chatterjee, M.S. Shaila, R. Nayak, and Nagasuma R. Chandra; Molecular Immunology, 46 ,1250–1255;2009.
Selected Conference Abstracts :
- Analysis of immunogenic epitopes on EBOLA SGP. Pavithra C, Aishwarya R, Neetu S Singh & Jhinuk Chatterjee, Bangalore India Bio, 09-11 Feb 2015.
- Assessing cellular health in cell culture system; Madhurima Ghosh, Arundhati Pal, Parnika Mukherjee, Rahila Rajvada, Jhinuk Chatterjee, V. Krishnamurthy; Advances in Tissue Engineering and Regenerative Medical Technology TERMTech-2014, PSG Institute of Advanced studies, Coimbatore, 12-13 th Dec, 2014.
- QSAR model for predicting the inhibitory activity of COX-2 inhibitors; Sandhya. V, Jhinuk Chatterjee, Biplab Bhattacharjee, IISC CADD conference, 16-17 Sept 2013.
- Spectrum of mathematical modeling approach to analyse programmed cell death; Madhurima Ghosh, Jhinuk Chatterjee & V. Krishnamurthy; 4th International Conference on Stem Cells and Cancer (ICSCC-2013): Proliferation, Differentiation and Apoptosis, Haffkine Institute, Mumbai, 19-22 Oct, 2013.
- Transport Phenomena across the Blood Brain Barrier-An Application to Phenylketonuria. Smurthy KS, Sumana Srivatsa, Pooja Bhat, Uma Ranjan ,Jhinuk Chatterjee, Roshan Makam, National conference on Biopharmaceuticals & Healthcare, MVIT,04-05th November, 2011.
- Elimination of antibiotic resistance of NDM Klebsiella pneumonia by inhibiting Metallo beta lactamase 1 enzyme using combinational therapy of phytochemicals & antibiotics - An Insilico approach; Biplab Bhattacharjee,Priya Prakash, Rukmini Jonnalagadda, Arpitha BM, Jhinuk Chatterjee, Krishna Murthy; Journal of Natural Science, Biology and Medicine,Vol 2, Issue 2(Suppl),Jul-Dec 2011.
- Computer aided screening of natural antimicrobials against Putative drug targets of Helicobacter pylori 26695-An in silico drug designing approach; Biplab Bhattacharjee, Jhinuk Chatterjee, Priya Jacob, V. Krishna Murthy;Journal of Natural Science, Biology and Medicine, Vol 2,Issue 2(Suppl),Jul-Dec 2011.
- Cerebral malaria: in silico analysis and compilation of proteins in disease pathway. Mrigank Vinay Sharma, Jhinuk Chatterjee, Bhavesh Jain & Sruti Agarwal, Bangalore India Bio, 04-06 May 2011, organized by Vision Group on Biotechnology.
Awards and Honors
- Received National Scholarship for excellencein academics from 10th board exam to post graduation.
- Received University Merit Scholarship during graduation and post graduation.
- Received Award for becoming First Class First in Graduation.
- Received Eastern zonal academic excellence award fromAptech Ltd. in software education.
Membership of Professional Bodies
Indian Science Congress