Sunil Kumar C obtained his Master degree in Biotechnology from Kuvempu University Shimoga, Karnataka. Currently pursuing his PhD in VIT University, Vellore, Tamil Nadu on the research topic titled “Halobacterial cultural characteristics optimization using Response Surface Methodology and the over production of membrane protein”. In PES his contribution includes, Developed a Research Laboratory and responsible for obtaining extramural funds, Guided students in their research projects, taught courses and conduct research and responsibly oversaw the smooth functioning of Centralized Examination Centre as both Assistant and Associate Dean Evaluation. Prior joining to PES, he worked as Course Administrator and researcher in Indgen Life Technologies Pvt. Ltd. for three years (2006-09). During the stay at industry he involved in Developing and publishing a database on Microbial Binary Protein Interaction (http://www.jcvi.org/mpidb/about.php an international non-profitable project) with J. Craig Venter Institute (earlier TIGR), Rockville, MD 20850, USA and Guided students in research and taught courses in Bioinformatics. In the year 2003-06 he was as a Junior research Fellow in Division of Plant Pathology, Central Coffee Research Institute, Chickmagalore, Karnataka, India the project titled Plant Protection – Biocontrol of coffee diseases. As a research student formulated and mass produced Bio-control agent/s for management of coffee diseases (Trichoderma harzianum, Pseudomonas fluorescence and Bacillus subtilis) as a measure of plant protection, Evaluated the role and effect of bio-control agent/s in the field as fungicide, collected samples, isolated and identified pathogenic fungi in coffee plantation/s and nursery. He was able to publish three research papers in international journal, two books in bioinformatics & drug designing and more than fifteen conference publications.
Teaching and research in the field of Biotechnology, PESIT (Autonomous) examination coordination work, involved in departmental activity / administrative work, Class teacher, Biotechnology lab in-charge, was the member of anti ragging committee, member of PG examination (VTU – PG courses) and interaction with industries in Bangalore for enhancing teaching, student internship, industry grade projects and research.
1. 2011 to till date working as an Assistant professor in BE Biotechnology Department, PES and guided academic research projects for UG and PG students.
2. 2009 Joined as Lecturer in PG Biotechnology Department of PES Institute of Technology, Bangalore.
3. 2006 to 2009 worked as a visiting faculty in various colleges for teaching Bioinformatics to PG students.
Subject Taught for UG students:
Bioinformatics, Upstream Process Technology, and Downstream Process Technology.
Subject taught for PG students:
Bioinformatics, Cell Biology, Microbiology, Bioprocess Engineering, Agricultural Biotechnology, Environmental biotechnology.
Research interest: Protein expression and purification, Process optimization, computational Biology.
Current research project
Media optimization for increasing the biomass productivity for halobacteria
In-silico mutational studies and simulation of membrane proteins
The project completed
Title: The identification and validation of differentially expressed genes of both buccal cavity and nasal cavity epithelial tissues of lung cancer. Student intern: Mr. T. Kiran Raj
Title: Identification of anti-toxic drugs for treating botulism by structure based drug design.
Student intern: Ms. Ayshath Thasneem.
Title: Tool development and validation of multiplex TAQMAN Assay for Hepatitis B virus. Student intern: Ms. Anjel Mercy.
Title: Development of software for multiplex oligo design for real time PCR and validation using viral genomes. Student intern: Ms. Raksha
Title: Environmental Pollution Induced Disease Forecasting Model (EPIDFM) Through Database Development. Student intern: Ms. Anusha M.B.
Title: Development of technology portal for agricultural science and deployment of field trial database. Student intern: Mr. Veeresh SK
Title: Optimization and application of multiplex PCR reaction in diagnostic virology using Java based tool. Student intern: Ms. Shruthi A.
Title: Tool Development for the early diagnosis of Type 2 diabetes mellitus. Student intern: Ms. Khamira Rubina.
Title: Biomarker discovery for lung cancer phenotypes using disease centric gene expression database. Student intern: Mr. D. Veekshith
Title: Depression-induced Alterations in the Volumes of Hippocampus and Amygdala: Role of Glutamatergic Modulation. Student interns: Ms. Anusha S Jahagirdar and Ms. Suraksha S Hegde
Published books in Bioinformatics and Drug Designing
- Guruprasad B. R., Sunil Kumar C. and Anand Krishna Tiwari. 2010. "Designing A Potential Inhibitor For Tyrosine Kinase", Lap Lambert Academic Publishing, Germany, (ISBN: 3838392485, ISBN-13: 9783838392486).
- Guruprasad B. R. and Sunil Kumar C. 2010. "Computational Biology of Alzheimer's Disease", VDM Verlag Publishers, Germany, (ISBN: 3639271777, ISBN-13: 9783639271775).
Research paper in international journal
- S. Ravindranath, Venkatappa Krishnamurthy, Venkataiah Krishna and Sunil Kumar C. 2013. In silico synteny based comparative genomics approach for identification and characterisation of noval therapeutic target in Chlamydophilla pneumonia, Bioinformation 9:10, pp 506-510.
- Shantha S.L, Padma, S.G. Bhat, Sunil Kumar C and Ragavendra Rao. 2012. Genetic Manipulation of tomato (Lycopersicon esculentum) using WGA gene through Agrobacterium mediated transformation, Journal of Science, Engineering and Technology, Kathmandu University, Vol. 8, No.1, pp 36-43.
- Rajagopala SV, Goll J, Gowda ND, Sunil KC, Titz B, Mukherjee A, Mary SS, Raviswaran N, Poojari CS, Ramachandra S, Shtivelband S, Blazie SM, Hofmann J, Uetz P. 2008. “MPI-LIT: A literature - curated dataset of microbial binary protein--protein interactions”. Bioinformatics, 2008 Nov 15; 24(22):2622-7. Epub 2008 Sep 11. PMID: 18786976.
- L. Shantha, Sasmita Sabat and Sunil Kumar C. 2011. “Detection of Lead Contamination in the Environmental samples using Microbial Biosensor”, National Symposium on Innovative and Modern Technologies for Agricultural Productivity, Food Security and Environmental Management, organized by Society for Applied Biotechnology (India), 22-23 July 2011, pp.112.
- Sunil Kumar C, Rahul Singh and Shantha S.L. 2011. “Computerized protein modeling and molecular docking analysis of benzimidazole derivatives against UDP-3-O- Acyl N- Acetylglucosamine Deacetalase”, Paper presentation in State Level conference on “Mesmerizing fields of Biotechnology” held at SDM college Ujire, Mangalore, 8th & 9th April 2011.
- Madhuchanda Das, Krithika B.N., Shantha S.L., Gopika Govindan, Megha Ganesh and Sunil Kumar C. 2011. “Isolation and characterization of hydrocarbon degrading microorganisms from Bangalore localities and recombinant approach to enhance the bioremediation activity” Paper presentation in State Level conference on “Mesmerizing fields of Biotechnology” held at SDM College Ujire, Mangalore, 8th & 9th April 2011.
- Shantha S.L., Sunil Kumar C, Deepa N. Vishwanathan, Souravi Bhattacharya, and Chitra Devi. 2011. “Biosynthesis of Gold nano particles from microbial source and its effect on seed germination of Eleusine coracana” Poster presentation in State Level conference on “Mesmerizing fields of Biotechnology” held at SDM College Ujire, Mangalore, 8th & 9th April 2011.
- Shantha S.L., Sunil Kumar C, Bhavana and Nanditha N Pai. 2011. “Micro-propagation of Aspenium nidus” Poster presentation in State Level conference on “Mesmerizing fields of Biotechnology” held at SDM College Ujire, Mangalore, 8th & 9th April 2011.
- Shantha S.L, Sunil Kumar C, S. Kishore Mohanty, Prateek Bhowmik and Tapojit Dey. 2010. Molecular Docking Analysis of Marine Bioactive Compounds as potential inhibitors for HIV, Paper presentation in National Seminar on Emerging Trends in Biotechnological Applications in Plants – Indian Perspective, 27th & 28th March 2010, Dept of Biotechnology, Chaitanya Postgraduate College, Kishanpura, Hanamkonda, Warangal (AP), India. pp 83.
- K and Sunil Kumar. C. 2010. An In Silico Drug Designing Approach to Develop a Potent Furin Inhibitor. 4th International Symposium on Recent Trends in Macromolecular Structure and Function, Jan 21-23, 2010. Centre of advances study in Crystallography and Biophysics, University of Madras, Guindy Campus, Chennai - 600 025, India
- Chetan S. Poojari, Sunil Kumar C and Deve Gowda N.D. 2008. “An In-Silico Approach towards Protein Structure Prediction”, Abstract publication & Poster presentation in National Conference on Genomics, Proteomics and System Biology, Oct. 2008, J.N. Tata Auditorium, IISc Campus, Bangalore.
- Navyashree S.N and Sunil Kumar. 2008. “Sequence analysis of different strains of chikengunya virus & iRNA designing; a computational approach”, Abstract publication & Poster presentation in National Conference on Genomics, Proteomics and System Biology, Oct. 2008, J.N. Tata Auditorium, IISc Campus, Bangalore.
- Ananthakumar M.A, Maria Violet D’souza, Daivasikamani D, Sunil Kumar, Nagaraja J.S, Hariyappa N, Hareesh S.B and Jayarama. 2007. “Effect of liming materials on Chemical and Biological properties of coffee growing soils”, National Conference on Emerging areas in Chemical and Biological Sciences, Mar. 2007, Dept of Chemistry & Indistrial Chemistry, Kuvempu University, Shimoga, Karnataka.